Friday, May 18, 2018

Darren C. Demaree : My Writing Day


Without flowery language, I present to you my writing day, and since I write every single day I give this bare schedule to show other writers that even if you have a job or jobs and a family you can be incredibly productive if take every opportunity given to you to write.

6:30 am – Wake up.
6:45 – Feed dogs.
7:00 – Feed Baby Kathryn.
7:20 – Make breakfast for family.
7:45 – Take dogs out.
8:00 – Wife heads to work.
8:20 – Take Belle to 2nd grade.
8:45 – Take Thomas to Pre-K.
9:15 – Feed Kathryn and put her down for her nap.
9:30-11 – Read poetry.  Work on sequence mapping, or sketch new poem titles/ideas.
11:15 – Pick up Thomas from Pre-K.
11:30 – Make lunch for Thomas and I.
12:00pm – Feed Kathryn.
12:30 – Set Thomas up with books/toys/show.
12:45-2 – Write new poetry.
2:30 – Wake up Kathryn, feed her.
3:00 – Take dogs out.
3:30  Pick up Belle from School.
4:00 – Poetry business.  Return emails, send out poems/manuscripts, sign contracts, etc.
5:00 – Make dinner for family.  Feed dogs.
5:30 – Wife comes home.
6:00-8:00 – Editing work or teaching.
8:30 – Help put the kids to bed.
9:30 – Watch the end of a game or a movie.
11:00 – Go to sleep.

I get two and half to four hours a day where I can be lazy or I can write.  I choose writing every time.


Darren C. Demaree is the author of eight poetry collections, most recently Two Towns Over, which was selected the winner of the Louise Bogan Award from Trio House Press. He is also the recipient of a 2018 Ohio Arts Council Individual Excellence Award, and the Nancy Dew Taylor Award from Emrys Journal. He is the Managing Editor of the Best of the Net Anthology and Ovenbird Poetry.  He is currently living in Columbus, Ohio with his wife and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment